BENEDICT'S SEASON

In the grave of this love,
Food of dust,
Dish clatter, do not eat...
But your dishwater left its mark on the hardwood of my heart,
Like an old rental in a Mexican neighborhood,
And I make it to the flea market,
And I set aside time for winter,
And I go back on everything I've said.

This current evocation of you...
It is so close to me like tasting salt,
It is sweet like sacrificial lamb..
It is broad and thick like dusty sun...
It is pure like death of enemy...
And bitter like my grandmother's baking chocolate, 
Which I stole in hopes for candy.

This reflection of your presence in my recall...
It is vivid like wounds of the flesh,
It is high-pitched like bats hunting bugs at dusk,
It is deep as purse of my mother, or the purse of any mother, for that matter,
And it holds tightly unto me like battle after battle.

I'd be so happy to drown in it,
To soak, and to be, just sopping in you, 
With my body bloated from gluttony,
And my eyes never looking from you.
I could resurrect, kissing you,
And be kissed back by your ten thousand suns.

You were so smoked and dried.
You were the wine,
You were the saddle,
You were the jailbreak.

SCA. 1994